Naturally, when people think “birthday” shortly after they think “cake.” It’s like peanut butter and jelly, bread and butter, bacon and eggs – “birthday” and “cake” just go together!
“So what’s with all this birthday talk?” – you ask. Well, it was my brother’s birthday, and he requested a special treat: Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes. And hey, what goes better together?
Even if you’re turning 100, you’ll instantly go back in time to your younger youth, enjoying orange creamsicles in the summertime from the ice cream man up the street…What I’m saying is, no matter what your age, these cupcakes are just as fun as the real deal.
recipe by Lauren Kapeluck
For the cake:
1 box white cake mix (prepared as package directs, substitute 1/4 cup orange juice in place of water)
1 3oz box Orange gelatin
1 tsp orange extract
1 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine all ingredients.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until well combined. Scrape sides of bowl as necessary.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool, hollow out the center using an apple corer.
- Fill centers with white cream cheese filling.
- Frost cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting.
For the icing:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 8oz block of cream cheese, softened
5 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp orange extract
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp orange zest
orange food coloring
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add in confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time and beat well, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Add extracts and mix well for about 2 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup of icing to be used as white cream center filling for cupcakes.
- Add orange zest and tint remaining icing with orange food coloring until you reach desired color.
- Place white and orange cream cheese icings into piping bags fitted with large round tips.
- Use orange cream cheese frosting and swirl around the center of the cupcake two times. Fill the inside of the swirl with a dollop of white cream cheese frosting.